Weddings are beautiful celebrations of love and commitment, and every bride wants to look her best on this special day. When it comes to hairstyling, updos for weddings have always been a popular choice among brides. These elegant and sophisticated hairstyles not only add a touch of glamour to the overall bridal look but also offer practicality and longevity throughout the day’s events.
In this comprehensive guide, we will explore various updo hairstyles suitable for weddings. From classic chignons to intricate braids, we will discuss step-by-step instructions, tips, and inspiration to help you achieve a stunning updo for your wedding day. So, let’s dive in and discover the timeless elegance of updos for weddings!
- 1 1. Why Choose updos for weddings?
- 2 2. Factors to Consider Before Choosing an Updo
- 3 3. Classic Chignons: A Timeless Bridal Favorite
- 4 4. Romantic Twisted Updos: Adding Grace and Charm
- 5 5. Braided Updos: Intricate and Captivating Hairstyles
- 6 6. Half-Up, Half-Down Styles: The Perfect Balance
- 7 7. Vintage-Inspired Updos: Nostalgia Meets Modernity
- 8 8. Bohemian Updos: Embracing the Free-Spirited Vibe
- 9 9. Updos for Short Hair: Elegant Options for Every Length
- 10 10. Tips for Achieving the Perfect Updo
- 11 Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- 11.1 Q: How far in advance should I book my hairstylist for my wedding?
- 11.2 Q: Should I wash my hair on the day of my wedding?
- 11.3 Q: How do I choose the right updo for my face shape?
- 11.4 Q: Can I wear a veil with an updo?
- 11.5 Q: How can I make my updo last throughout the day and night?
- 11.6 Q: What should I do if I don’t like my updo during the hair trial?
- 12 Conclusion
1. Why Choose updos for weddings?
Updos Enhance the Bridal Look
An updo is an excellent choice for brides as it instantly elevates the entire bridal look. It draws attention to the face, highlights the neckline, and showcases any intricate details on the back of the wedding gown. Whether you opt for a sleek and polished updo or a soft and romantic style, an updo will undoubtedly make you feel like a princess on your special day.
Practicality and Longevity
One of the significant advantages of choosing an updo for your wedding is its practicality and longevity. Once the updo is styled, it will stay intact throughout the day, allowing you to dance, mingle, and enjoy every moment without worrying about your hair. Moreover, an updo will withstand any weather conditions, ensuring you look flawless from the beginning of the ceremony to the end of the reception.
2. Factors to Consider Before Choosing an Updo
Hair Length and Texture
Before deciding on a specific updo hairstyle, it is essential to consider your hair’s length and texture. Certain updos work better for long hair, while others are more suitable for shorter hair lengths. Similarly, the texture of your hair, whether it’s straight, wavy, or curly, can influence the outcome of the updo. Consulting with a professional hairstylist will help determine which updo options will work best for your hair type.
Wedding Theme and Dress Style
Another crucial factor to consider is your wedding theme and dress style. Your updo should complement the overall aesthetic and vibe of your wedding. For a classic and formal wedding, a sleek and elegant updo like a chignon would be a perfect choice. On the other hand, if you’re having a bohemian or rustic-themed wedding, you might opt for a more relaxed and organic updo style.
Personal Style and Comfort
Your updo should reflect your personal style and make you feel comfortable on your wedding day. If you typically wear your hair down and feel most confident with loose locks, consider a half-up, half-down updo to strike a balance. Alternatively, if you enjoy experimenting with different hairstyles, don’t be afraid to explore more intricate and unique updo options.
3. Classic Chignons: A Timeless Bridal Favorite
The classic chignon is a timeless updo that exudes elegance and sophistication. This hairstyle features a low bun gathered at the nape of the neck, creating a sleek and polished look. The chignon works exceptionally well with strapless or off-the-shoulder wedding gowns, accentuating the neckline and allowing any statement jewelry to shine.
To create a classic chignon:
- Start by prepping the hair with a texturizing spray to add grip and hold.
- Gather the hair into a low ponytail at the nape of the neck and secure it with an elastic band.
- Twist the ponytail and coil it around its base to form a bun.
- Secure the bun with bobby pins, ensuring it feels secure and tight.
- Use a hairspray to set the style and smooth any flyaways.
- Optional: Decorate the chignon with delicate hair accessories or fresh flowers to match your wedding theme.
The classic chignon is a versatile updo that can be customized to suit different bridal styles. Whether you prefer a sleek and neat bun or a slightly looser and more romantic interpretation, the chignon is a foolproof choice for any wedding.
4. Romantic Twisted Updos: Adding Grace and Charm
For brides looking for a soft and romantic updo, twisted hairstyles are the perfect option. Twists add dimension and texture to the updo, creating an ethereal and whimsical look. Whether you choose to incorporate twists as the main element or as delicate accents, this style will undoubtedly make you feel like a fairytale bride.
To achieve a romantic twisted updo:
- Start by curling the hair with a curling iron or hot rollers to create loose waves.
- Take a small section of hair from one side and twist it away from the face.
- Secure the twist with bobby pins, tucking them underneath the twisted section.
- Repeat the twisting process on the other side, ensuring symmetry.
- Gather the remaining hair into a low bun or a loose chignon at the back.
- Secure the bun with bobby pins, leaving a few strands loose for a soft and whimsical effect.
- Spritz the hair with a light hairspray to set the style and enhance its longevity.
Twisted updos offer a delicate balance between femininity and grace. This style is particularly suitable for outdoor or garden weddings, as it effortlessly blends with the natural surroundings, creating a harmonious bridal look.
5. Braided Updos: Intricate and Captivating Hairstyles
Braided updos are a wonderful way to add intricate details and visual interest to your wedding hairstyle. Braids can be incorporated in various ways, whether as a crown braid, a fishtail braid accent, or a braided bun. The versatility of braids allows you to create a customized updo that perfectly matches your personal style and wedding theme.
To create a braided updo:
- Start by parting the hair and creating three even sections.
- Begin braiding the hair, incorporating additional sections as you go.
- Continue braiding until you reach the desired length.
- Secure the end of the braid with a small elastic band.
- Gently loosen the braid by tugging at the sections, creating a fuller and more voluminous effect.
- Twist the braid into a bun or gather it to the side, securing it with bobby pins.
- Use a hairspray to set the style and keep the braids in place throughout the day.
Braided updos add an element of bohemian charm and whimsy to the bridal look. Whether you opt for a single braid or an intricate combination of multiple braids, this style is sure to make a statement on your wedding day.
6. Half-Up, Half-Down Styles: The Perfect Balance
Half-up, half-down hairstyles strike the perfect balance between wearing your hair up and down. This versatile style allows you to showcase the length and texture of your hair while incorporating the elegance of an updo. Half-up, half-down styles can be customized to suit various wedding themes, from casual beach weddings to formal ballroom affairs.
To achieve a half-up, half-down hairstyle:
- Start by curling the hair to create soft waves or loose curls.
- Take a small section of hair from each side of the head.
- Bring the sections to the back of the head and secure them with a small elastic band, creating a half-up ponytail.
- Gently tease the ponytail to add volume and texture.
- Optional: Wrap a small section of hair around the elastic band to conceal it.
- Leave the remaining hair down, allowing it to flow freely or adding additional curls for a more polished look.
- Spritz the hair with a hairspray to set the style and ensure its longevity.
Half-up, half-down hairstyles offer a romantic and effortless vibe, making them ideal for both outdoor and indoor weddings. This style allows you to embrace the natural beauty of your hair while adding a touch of elegance and sophistication.
7. Vintage-Inspired Updos: Nostalgia Meets Modernity
Vintage-inspired updos have made a significant comeback in the world of bridal hairstyles. These timeless and glamorous looks draw inspiration from different eras, from the roaring 20s finger waves to the retro-inspired victory rolls of the 50s. Vintage updos add a touch of nostalgia and classic charm to your bridal look, allowing you to channel your favorite bygone era.
To create a vintage-inspired updo:
- Depending on the era you’re drawing inspiration from, research specific hairstyles and techniques commonly used during that time.
- Prepare the hair by adding volume and texture with a volumizing spray or dry shampoo.
- Follow the instructions for the chosen vintage hairstyle, whether it involves pin curls, victory rolls, or finger waves.
- Use bobby pins and hairspray to secure the style and ensure its longevity.
Vintage-inspired updos offer a unique and enchanting aesthetic that is sure to captivate your guests. Whether you’re a fan of the elegance of the 1920s or the glamour of the 1950s, there’s a vintage-inspired updo that will perfectly complement your wedding day.
8. Bohemian Updos: Embracing the Free-Spirited Vibe
Bohemian updos are a fantastic choice for brides looking to embrace a free-spirited and effortless vibe on their wedding day. These hairstyles often incorporate elements such as loose waves, braids, and flower crowns to create a bohemian-inspired look. Boho updos are ideal for outdoor weddings, beach ceremonies, or rustic-themed celebrations.
To achieve a bohemian updo:
- Start by curling the hair to create loose and natural-looking waves.
- Create a loose and tousled braid, incorporating small sections of hair as you go.
- Secure the braid with a small elastic band, leaving a few strands loose for a relaxed effect.
- Gather the remaining hair into a loose bun or twist it into a textured chignon.
- Secure the updo with bobby pins, ensuring it feels secure yet effortless.
- Optional: Adorn the hairstyle with a flower crown or individual flowers for a bohemian touch.
- Spritz the hair with a texturizing spray to enhance the tousled and relaxed appearance.
Bohemian updos exude an air of natural beauty and carefree elegance. This style allows you to showcase your individuality and create a unique bridal look that perfectly aligns with your bohemian spirit.
9. Updos for Short Hair: Elegant Options for Every Length
Brides with short hair may think that their styling options are limited. However, there are numerous elegant and sophisticated updo hairstyles that cater to shorter hair lengths. Whether you have a pixie cut or a bob, you can still achieve a stunning updo that complements your wedding attire and showcases your personality.
Here are a few updo options for short hair:
- Textured Pixie Updo: Add texture and volume to your pixie cut by applying a texturizing product. Use bobby pins to twist and secure small sections of hair, creating an intricate and unique updo.
- Braided Bob: Incorporate braids into your bob haircut to add visual interest and dimension. Create a side braid or a crown braid, securing it with bobby pins to achieve a stylish updo.
- Rolled and Pinned Updo: Roll sections of hair from the sides and back of your head and secure them with bobby pins, creating a faux updo. This technique gives the illusion of an updo while maintaining the length of your short hair.
Short hair doesn’t have to limit your hairstyling options on your wedding day. Embrace your natural hair length and work with a skilled hairstylist to create a personalized and elegant updo that enhances your features and complements your wedding look.
10. Tips for Achieving the Perfect Updo
Achieving the perfect updo for your wedding requires careful preparation and execution. Here are some tips to ensure your updo is flawless:
- Schedule a Hair Trial: Prior to your wedding day, book a hair trial with your chosen hairstylist. This allows you to discuss your ideas, try out different updo options, and make any necessary adjustments.
- Bring Inspiration Photos: Bring along photos of updo hairstyles that you love to show your hairstylist. This helps them understand your vision and create a hairstyle that matches your desired aesthetic.
- Consider Hair Accessories: Hair accessories can elevate your updo and add a touch of sparkle or whimsy. Discuss with your hairstylist which accessories would work well with your chosen hairstyle and overall bridal look.
- Practice Good Hair Care: In the weeks leading up to your wedding, make sure to take good care of your hair. Use hydrating masks, avoid excessive heat styling, and trim any split ends to ensure your hair is in its best condition for the updo.
- Secure with Hairpins: Use high-quality bobby pins and hairpins to secure your updo. Opt for pins that match your hair color for a seamless and polished look.
- Have a Hair Emergency Kit: Prepare a small kit with essential hair supplies, such as extra bobby pins, a small comb, hairspray, and a travel-size mirror. This ensures that you’re prepared for any touch-ups throughout the day.
By following these tips and working closely with your hairstylist, you can achieve the perfect updo that enhances your bridal beauty and ensures you feel confident and stunning on your wedding day.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: How far in advance should I book my hairstylist for my wedding?
A: It’s recommended to book your hairstylist at least six to twelve months in advance, especially if you’re getting married during peak wedding season. This allows you to secure their services and schedule a hair trial to discuss your desired updo.
Q: Should I wash my hair on the day of my wedding?
A: It’s generally best to wash your hair the day before your wedding rather than on the actual day. Slightly dirty hair holds styles better and is easier to work with when creating an updo. If your hair tends to get greasy quickly, you can use a dry shampoo to refresh it on the wedding day.
Q: How do I choose the right updo for my face shape?
A: Consider your face shape when choosing an updo hairstyle. For example, if you have a round face, opt for updos with height at the crown to elongate your features. If you have a heart-shaped face, soft and romantic updos with face-framing tendrils can balance your features. Consult with your hairstylist to find the best updo that flatters your face shape.
Q: Can I wear a veil with an updo?
A: Absolutely! Updos work well with veils, and your hairstylist can incorporate the veil seamlessly into your chosen hairstyle. Whether you want to wear the veil over or under the updo, discuss your preferences with your hairstylist during the trial so they can create a look that accommodates the veil.
Q: How can I make my updo last throughout the day and night?
A: To ensure your updo lasts, use products that provide hold and longevity, such as a strong-hold hairspray. Additionally, secure the style with bobby pins, and consider using a texturizing spray or dry shampoo to add grip and prevent the hair from slipping. Having a few extra bobby pins on hand allows you to make quick touch-ups if needed.
Q: What should I do if I don’t like my updo during the hair trial?
A: If you’re not satisfied with your updo during the hair trial, don’t hesitate to communicate your concerns with your hairstylist. They can make adjustments and try different styles until you’re happy with the result. Bringing reference photos and being clear about your preferences will help your hairstylist understand your vision.
Choosing the perfect updo for your wedding day is an exciting part of the bridal planning process. With a plethora of options available, from classic chignons to bohemian-inspired updos, there’s a style that suits every bride’s personal taste and wedding theme. By working closely with a skilled hairstylist, considering your face shape and dress style, and incorporating unique elements such as braids or vintage-inspired details, you can achieve a breathtaking updo that enhances your bridal beauty and ensures you feel confident and radiant as you walk down the aisle.
Remember to book your hairstylist well in advance, schedule a hair trial to discuss your ideas, and take good care of your hair in the weeks leading up to the wedding. With proper planning and attention to detail, your updo will be a stunning and memorable part of your wedding day look.